Monday, March 9, 2015

Our little buddy

This is the story of our little perfect man! Some of it's a bit emotional for me, but needs to be said, in case someone else has had the same experience.

To keep things short, I'll try (try) to sum up the last 9 months.  We were pretty excited it was a boy this time! We both thought it was, but didn't dare hope until we were sure.  About a month after that I had to go back in for another ultrasound to confirm the due date (which got pushed back 7 days, then another 3, not super fun to find out you're not as far along as you thought...). After the ultrasound they told me everything was fine, then about 6 hours later I got a call from the doctor telling me he had a 50/50 chance of having Down syndrome. He had an absent nasal bone, which apparently is really common in Downs. I cried before I even got off the phone. The doctor probably thought I was gonna lose it! I had tyler give me a blessing that night, and in it he said this would be a special experience for me. I can only scratch at the surface of all the emotions I had the next while.  We both felt like it was gonna be fine, whether or not that meant he was fine or that we were going to be fine even if he wasn't.  It was hard to keep it to myself! I felt like I needed someone to talk to, we only told a handful of people, because we never got any answers. I got blood work done which came back normal, but not necessarily confirming he was fine. It's so amazing to me how a thousand things can run through your head in a matter of seconds. I would feel fine and then let the panic set in again.  Panic, concern, confusion, comfort, frustration (aimed at the doctor for telling me), fatigue, calm, panic again, etc. I felt like a whirlwind of emotions was constantly around me.

And then he was born. Totally normal. Totally healthy. Totally perfect. Then I mostly felt angry at myself for not trusting that feeling I had when we first got the phone call. What a waste of energy for the last half of the pregnancy!

He was 2 days late, which was the earliest of any of my kids.  I'm so grateful he came on his own, but really surprised at how quickly he came.  He came just as quick as Emerie, but emerie had a little medical help, so I thought maybe this labor would be slower.  Nope! I was an 8 when we got there, and since the whole 3rd trimester I spent getting blood drawn over and over keeping track of my low platelet count, they had to draw it again when we got to the hospital. They said it would take 45 minutes to get the tests back which would determine if I was allowed to get an epidural or not.  I knew I didn't have 45 minutes, so they wheeled me in to the delivery room and I had him naturally... I'm very glad I had the experience, and it is true that you feel better immediately afterwards than with an epidural. HOWEVER, if I ever have the option to get an epidural again, I will take it!  The only reason I survived was because it was fast haha. AND I came to find out afterwards that my platelet count had magically gone back to normal within a week, so I could have had the epidural if they didn't have to test me first... Lovely :) Contractions started at 8:00 pm, but I thought it was false labor (again!) so I told tyler he could go with friends to make his pinewood derby car, a mistake I probably won't make again. By 9:00 I knew the baby was coming, so I told tyler to come home, he got there at 10:00, got to the hospital at 10:15, ran a red light, passed a car in the middle of an intersection, and had the baby at 11:45. And he's perfect. He's a momma's boy :) Plus he looks like Tyler, which made me really happy. Such a handsome boy!

Levi Dorian Page
8 lbs 8 oz
21" long
11:45 pm
February 24, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment